Finally, the sunshine is appearing and with it a hope for warmer weather and the summer we've all been craving. Young people (and teachers) everywhere are doing the countdown to the end of school when they'll finally be able to do their version of the "Happy" dance.
As the end of the school year approaches it is the perfect time to talk to the kids in your life about the importance of keeping safe with the Buddy System. It's a system that's never outdated and is always effective no matter how old they are. As a matter of fact it may be even more crucial for those who are teens.
A recent study from the Canadian Centre for The Protection of Children titled "Abducted Then Murdered Children; A Canadian Study: (Preliminary Results), closely examined 147 cases between 1970 and 2010 highlighted the following facts about the importance of the Buddy System:
- In 68% of these cases, the child was alone when abducted
- 41% of the abductions occurred in June, July or August
- Across all age groups, 53% were last seen between the hours of 3:30 pm to 10:00 pm
- 45% occurred on a Friday or Saturday
- 67% were in-transit at the time of abduction (ie: walking, biking) such as travelling to school, a friend's house, or nearby park or mall
- The study revealed that being alone was one of the most significant risk factors for abduction
How Can You Help?
- Talk with your kids of all ages about the Buddy System.
- Reinforce the importance of the Buddy System on Social Media by sharing this post.
- Sign up for Missing Kids Alert at www.missingkidsalert.ca
- Check out www.protectchildren.ca for more ways to get involved with keeping kids of all ages safe.
Something as simple and easy as the Buddy System could mean a big difference for those you care about it. Take the few minutes to talk about it with them to ensure they have a safe and happy summer.
Have you ever had an experience where the Buddy System protected you or someone you know?