Domestic violence CAN happen to anyone...and it does
Violence against women happens all over the world - even in Canada.
Shocking right? We often imagine violence against women taking place in war-torn countries like Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran and Sierra Leone; places where women frequently experience unimaginable violence.
Many think of Canada as a "safe" place where violence against women wouldn't happen, but thousands of Canadian women experience violence and abuse everyday - in their homes, workplaces and communities. The numbers are actually staggering:
- 1 in 5 women experience some form of ABUSE in their intimate relationships
- On average, every SIX days a women in Canada is KILLED by her intimate partner
- Every year in Canada, an estimated 362,000 children witness or experience family violence
- On any give day in Canada 6,000+ women and children are living in emergency shelters to escape abuse
- Violence against women costs taxpayers and the government approximately $7.4 BILLION every year
VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN IS AN EPIDEMIC THAT NEEDS TO END - EVERYWHERE.
Are you in immediate danger? Please call 911.
The VPCC does not have onsite staff and cannot provide immediate or emergency services.
If you or someone you know is experiencing abuse, please visit our Crisis Support page.
In non-emergency situations, please contact Member Agencies for information on support services for women, children & seniors.